Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Aftermath of Christmas: Curling Up with a Good Book!

Happy Holidays to everyone! I hope everyone has been enjoying their time with family and friends.

Our Christmas passed with the usual whirlwind of activity, starting at 5:00 when our 14-year-old daughter burst into our bedroom to announce, “Mom, Santa came!!!” As if there was ever any doubt that we would be a stop on his route. J

One of my favorite Christmas traditions dates all the way back to my childhood. Every Christmas I have always received books of some sort, and I like nothing better than curling up with them after the craziness of the day is done. A spot on the couch, some Chex Mix, a mug of tea, a blanket, and a new book. Does Christmas vacation get any better than that?

So, which books ended up beneath the tree this year?

For me, quite a stack that should last me the rest of the week and perhaps a little beyond.
There is a biography of Walt Disney by Bob Thomas and a copy of Grimm’s Fairy Tales. We watch Grimm every Friday night, and there have been several times that we have watched it and said, “Which fairy tale is that based on???” Now, we have a reference guide.

There is also A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff. I read that in about a day. Charming story of a woman who opens a vintage clothing store, and the friendship she forms with an elderly lady. It had me scouring eBay for a Kelly bag until I found out how much they really cost.

My current reading material is The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley. She is a fabulous author. Think Mary Stewart and Daphne du Maurier. I have read several of her other ones, and I love each one more than the last. The Rose Garden is set in Cornwall, and I have been seduced by her descriptions of the coastline and villages. Adding a visit to there to my bucket list.

And do you see that fabulous quilt under the books? My daughter MADE that for me for Christmas. I can’t begin to describe how much I love it. It matches the new colors in our living room, and I have already spent a lot of hours underneath it with my books. 

Connor also received some books for Christmas. He was beyond excited to get Inheritance -- the latest and I think, maybe, the last book in the Eragon series (fantasy and dragons) -- and The Death Cure -- the third book in The Maze Runner series (dystopian fiction).
Santa also included some book treats in the stockings. Chelsea and Connor got magnetic book marks. How cute are they??? Charles got a copy of Charlie Brown’s Christmas which I learned this year is his favorite Christmas special. I personally find it the most depressing of shows, but apparently some people like it. :)

Sometimes the best presents are the surprise ones (like my quilt). I consider this book to be just that -- a book recommendation from my dear friend, Leslie, that turned out to be absolutely gripping.

Soulless by Gail Carriger is the first in a series which already numbers four books, with a fifth one due out in February. How to describe it? Well, let’s just say it is set in the late 1800’s in London and involves romance, mystery, humor, vampires, and a really great werewolf.



I read it one day because I could not put it down, and we were without power for twelve hours due to storms the night before.

I can promise you Alexia and I will be spending more time together since I used a Barnes and Noble gift card from my mother-in-law to buy the other three.

So, there are our Christmas book goodies for 2011. Now, I must get back to my spot on the couch and The Rose Garden.

May you have a wonderful New Year! (I will be posting my Top Eleven Books of 2011 on New Year’s Day.)



9 comments:

  1. I feel so special that I got a mention in your blog post! :)

    I'm so glad you loved Soulless, I love passing along good book recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My book list keeps getting longer and longer everytime I read your blog!! I did order Soulless and will be reading that when it arrives (hopefully today!!) and I'm going to have to look up The Rose Garden!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie, I devoured it! Barnes and Noble sent me an email today to say that the other three will be arriving tomorrow. Hurray! Jen, both you and Leslie would really like The Rose Garden.I have fifteen pages left, and I don't want it to end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am getting Souless and I picked up the Walt one while we were in Disney and I loved it. I thought it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackie, I can't wait to dig into these! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Jen--my "to read" list is getting longer! Love the quilt Chelsea made you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessica, I am looking forward to reading the Walt Disney biography -- of course, I have already looked at all the pictures in it. :) Debby, you're welcome -- thanks for reading! :) Denise, thank you! That quilt is so warm! Perfect for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will have to get Soulless. Love your blogs...waiting for a book authored by you one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy, I just turned it into the library the other day. I bought the other three with your gift card, so you are welcome to borrow them when I finish them. :) One day, I might be able to write my own book :).

    ReplyDelete